Writing relevant and helpful blog content is one of the most effective
ways to market your online business. The idea is to build a relationship with your readers by helping them out. If done well, this will result in more
sharing and faster results on the SERPS (search engine rankings positions). A win-win for you and your blog readers; as you both walk-away with something
Choose a Relevant, Engaging and Timely Topic
Engage your audience with timely and relevant Information. What hot topics are occurring in your community (target audience) and how can your Blog address
these concerns/questions with potential solutions and helpful/useful information.
- Pick a topic that you're passionate about!
- Consider the needs and interests of your audience. What may be important to you, may not be to them. Put yourself in their shoes.
- Choose something timely. I.e., "This article," is both timely and enduring. In other words, it is relevant TODAY, it's been relevant in recent history
and will be a good review in the future.
Write Useful Relevant Content that Educates and Entertains
- Consider the emotional environment of your blog; your topic will vary depending on whether the intended feel is celebratory, just plain fun, solemn/serious,
- Consider the purpose for your blog content; To inform (educate), to persuade, to entertain, or to celebrate (acknowledge successful achievements)
- To educate requires relevant facts...
- To persuade requires convincing evidence...
- To celebrate intends to garner enthusiasm...
- It is equally important to know which topics to avoid. Controversy can draw attention and can be powerful, but it can also be bad for business if you
opinions are not part of your monetized product offerings.
- Consider the age and knowledge of your audience and temper your language accordingly. Speak to your audience, not above or below them.
- Use easy to understand words
- Be straightforward and honest
- Do not hype up your content
- Write as if you were explaining things to a friend
- Be sincere and helpful
- Let your personality come through your writing
Optimize Your Blog Page for SEO and Device Responsive
- There are many aspects to SEO, from the words on your page to sites that link to you on the web.
- Make sure your website is SEO optimized
- Consider video blogging
- Optimize images by placing a key word in the image name
- Create SEO-Friendly Links and Anchor Text
- Optimize Blog Post Headlines and URLs
- Utilize keywords throughout your post
- Turn Keyword Research Into Blog Topics
- See SEO on this site for additional insights
- Google recommends webmasters follow the industry best practice of using responsive web design, namely serving the same HTML for all devices and using only CSS Media Queries to decide the rendering on each device.
Promote Your Blog and Your Site
- Create a Dynamic Site Map and submit your site and your blogs to the search engines
- Announce your new blog to your email list
Share your content on social networks
Guest post on other blogs
Submit your content on social news sites
Start e-mail marketing
Encourage participation in the comments
Collaborate with other bloggers
Give readers the opportunity to subscribe to your blog
Monetizing Your Blog (Tactfully and Ethically)
- You've worked hard to develop good content and this should be acknowledged
- So a couple shameless self-promotions (links) to your products and/or services are OK as long as they don’t ruin the user experience
- This does NOT mean plastering the sidebar with promotions or products! Be tasteful, if your readers like what the read, they are more than capable
of browsing the rest of your site.